Monday, January 18, 2010

The Best Writing Advice I've Ever Heard

In 2002 I made a promise to myself to finish my first novel. After all, I'd been writing stories since I was a kid and always wanted to finish a 'real book,' but day jobs, rent, and family responsibilities took over and my dream was put aside.
Finally, I decided that writing was important in my life and I committed. I joined the mystery writers group, Sisters in Crime, and faithfully attended their monthly meetings. Sisters in Crime was perfect for me. I drank in every meeting and left inspired to write.
The speakers in these meetings ranged from police officers talking about crime scenes and dead bodies, to industry people talking about marketing or submissions, to authors talking about their experiences and the craft of writing.
It was here that I heard a piece of writing advice that is, to date, the best advice I've ever received. The speaker was mystery writer Martha Lawrence. She said the advice was given to her by someone else, but I'm giving her the credit since she relayed it to me.The message was simple--- "Find the butt and the mind will follow."
Crazy simple, huh? Put your ass in the chair and write, and the ideas will come. The ideas do NOT have to come first. Prior to that I thought I had to be "inspired" to write, after all, I'm an artist, and art must be inspired by something deep and ethereal. Um, no. My projects would never be completed with that mindset.
I learned that writing a book is work, and it has to be treated that way. Sometimes I have inspired moments, but often I put my butt in the chair and say to myself, 'just get the character out of the room,' or, 'just have the two characters say something about what just happened.' Before I know it I have several pages written.
I did keep my promise to myself. I finished my first book in December of 2002, and I even got an agent for a while (that's another fun blog for later). The book still hasn't been published, and it's not the most compelling thing I've ever written. Funny thing is, it's my favorite book because it's the first. If it didn't exist, the projects that came after it probably wouldn't either.
So thanks, Martha! You helped a newbie get a first book, and several others, finished!
Booyeah!

C

No comments:

Post a Comment